A wrongful death claim is filed when someone’s negligence results in the death of another. The wrongful death could be the result of an automobile accident, truck accident, nursing home abuse or neglect, or from any other negligent or intentional misconduct.
The decedents spouse, domestic partner, children, siblings, parents, or other relatives who can show monetary or emotional injury may file a wrongful death claim. A wrongful death plaintiff may recover:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income from the decedent
- Medical expenses prior to death
- Loss of household support
- Loss of child rearing support
- Loss of medical and retirement benefits
- Other economic losses sustained by the death of a loved one as well as non-economic dames such as mental anguish and suffering.
Wrongful death statutes provide compensation for spouses, children, parents, and potentially other relatives of the deceased. Such damages include:
- The loss of financial support that would have been provided by deceased
- The grief suffered by the family
- The loss of companionship suffered by the family
- Any physical and mental pain suffered by the deceased prior to death
- The medical and burial expenses incurred
In the death of a minor child, only the parents are entitled to damages. The damages include:
- Medical and burial expenses
- Loss of anticipated services and support
- Loss of love and companionship of the child
- The destruction of the parent/child relationship
- Monies expended in the support, maintenance, and education of the child may also be recoverable
If someone close to you has recently passed away and you believe the cause of death included the negligent or intentional conduct of another, you should contact an experienced wrongful death attorney.
The attorneys at Carr & Carr have extensive experience handling wrongful death lawsuits in Oklahoma and Arkansas. Please contact us today and we will help get you the compensation you deserve. We have law offices in Tulsa and Oklahoma City plus Northwest Arkansas, and our injury lawyers represent injured people throughout the state.