Xarelto is a prescription blood thinner used to prevent blood clots. It is often given to patients suffering from atrial fibrillation, deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and strokes. It may also be prescribed to patients who have recently received a knee or hip replacement.
Xarelto can cause severe internal bleeding, which can lead to serious bodily injury and death. People who have taken Xarelto and have been injured by it can file suit to recover damages. In fact, many such suits have been filed against the manufacturer and distributor.
The Facts about Xarelto
Long marketed as a safer and more effective alternative to the drug Warfarin, recent studies have shown that Xarelto may be far more dangerous than Warfarin. In fact, a 2015 study published in the British Medical Journal found Xarelto carries twice the risk for gastrointestinal bleeding as does Warfarin.
Additional research performed in 2012 by the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons shows individuals who take Xarelto after joint replacement surgery have a much higher wound complication rate than people who were prescribed alternative anticoagulants.
The side effects caused by Xarelto vary from patient to patient. Most of the side effects are related to internal, and sometimes uncontrollable, bleeding. Some of the side effects reported by Xarelto users and their physicians include:
- Internal bleeding
- Wound infection and complication
- Intracranial hemorrhaging
- Abdominal bleeding
- Excessive blood loss
- Eye bleeding
- Rectal bleeding
- Intestinal bleeding
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Wrongful death
Individuals who have suffered because of Xarelto are now stepping forward, claiming Jansen Pharmaceuticals and Bayer Healthcare, its manufacturer and distributor, were aware of the risk of internal bleeding and intentionally withheld information that confirmed this risk. These corporations also knew there is no anecdote to reverse the effects of Xarelto and stop internal bleeding.
The lawsuits being brought against these corporations also allege that:
- Xarelto was marketed as superior to other anticoagulants, despite studies that prove otherwise.
- To this day, the manufactures continue to market Xarelto as being safe.
- Medical professionals were not aware of the risks and were not provided a way to treat patients suffering from Xarelto induced bleeding.
- Patients were not warned of the potential risk for a catastrophic bleeding event.
- The makers aggressively marketed Xarelto, encouraging doctors to prescribe it, despite the risks and higher costs as compared to other anticoagulants.
- They did not recall Xarelto or warn doctors about the adverse side effects.
Because of the large number of injuries caused by Xarelto, the FDA has required two “black box” warnings be placed on its packaging.
The first warns that early discontinuation of Xarelto may result in the development of blood clots. The second warns that Xarelto can cause epidural and spinal hematomas in some patients. There are also several other warnings, which highlight the risk of bleeding events and the potential for patients with prosthetic heart valves to suffer severe injuries.
Recovering Damages with the Help of an Attorney
Going up against a major pharmaceutical manufacturer can be daunting to an individual. That’s why, if you or a loved one has suffered a bleeding event from using Xarelto, your best course of action is to get in touch with our experienced attorneys. We may be able to help you recover damages for:
- Medical expenses, including emergency room visits and ongoing care
- The emotional trauma caused by this experience, or by watching a loved one suffer
- Loss of quality of life
- Lost wages and/or loss of earning ability (if permanently disabled by Xarelto)
- Loss of companionship
- Funeral expenses, in the event of wrongful death
You’re not in this alone. There are many individuals who have taken Xarelto and suffered a bleeding event. At Carr & Carr, our attorneys are here to help you through this difficult time. We’ll be right by your side, every step of the way, as we assist you in holding these manufacturers accountable for their actions and fighting for the compensation you deserve. Contact us now for a free consultation or call our Oklahoma product liability lawyers at 1-877-392-4878.