Nothing is more alarming and heartbreaking than seeing our children suffer an injury caused by someone else’s negligence. Whether it’s a car accident, playground mishap, defective toy, or a catastrophic injury at school, the emotional toll can be devastating.
At Carr & Carr, our Oklahoma City child injury lawyers understand your worry and are here to fight for your child’s future. We know that no settlement or verdict can make up for what your family is going through, but accident injuries bring emotional and financial burdens that you shouldn’t have to deal with alone. To learn more, contact us today for a free consultation.
Why Hire Carr & Carr for Your OKC Child Injury Lawsuit?
- Dedicated Advocacy: Carr & Carr is dedicated to standing up for the rights of injured children and their families. Our personal injury attorneys work tirelessly to ensure that your child has what they need to heal as much as possible.
- Strategic Approach: We know that every detail can make a difference in a child injury case. We carefully examine all aspects, including evidence, medical reports, and witness statements, to build the strongest possible case and hold the negligent party accountable.
- Decades of Experience: For over five decades, our personal injury law firm has been helping parents overcome challenges that arise during the claim process. We know what’s at stake and use our extensive experience to get the best results for your family.
- Strong Communication: Carr & Carr prioritizes clear and open communication with clients. We keep you informed at every stage of the case, answering your questions and explaining the legal process in terms you can understand.
- Commitment to Recovery: We work diligently to secure compensation that covers medical expenses, rehabilitation, therapy, and other costs associated with a severe injury. We are committed to helping your child return to normal life as quickly as possible.
- Reputation for Success: Our track record of successful settlements and verdicts is a testament to their ability to advocate for their client’s rights.
By working with Carr & Carr, you benefit from a legal team that is fully committed to your child’s welfare and recovery. Let us help you file an Oklahoma child injury claim and work to obtain the maximum financial compensation possible.
Child Injury Claims We Handle
In a world where children should feel safe to learn, play, and grow, accidents and negligence can shatter that sense of security. At Carr & Carr, we understand the pain and distress that child injuries can cause, and we’re committed to representing families in Oklahoma City in a wide range of child injury claims.
- Vehicle Accidents: From car collisions to bicycle and pedestrian accidents, we deal with cases where children are injured on the road, working to hold responsible parties accountable.
- Dog Bites and Animal Attacks: We handle cases involving animal attacks, particularly dog bites that have caused physical and emotional trauma to children.
- School and Playground Injuries: Our team of attorneys handles cases involving accident injuries that occur at school or on playgrounds, often due to defective equipment or negligence.
- Medical Malpractice: This includes cases where medical professionals fail in their duty of care, resulting in birth injuries, misdiagnoses, surgical errors, or other harm to a child.
- Product Liability: We represent families in cases where defective toys, equipment, or children’s products lead to injuries.
- Premises Liability: This covers situations where unsafe conditions on someone else’s property, such as slippery floors or unsecured objects, lead to a child’s injury. We can help you hold the property owner accountable.
- Swimming Pool Accidents: We take on cases involving children injured in swimming pool accidents, whether due to lack of supervision, faulty gates, or other negligence.
At Carr & Carr, we know that no two child injury cases are the same, and we approach each one with the care, attention, and legal expertise it deserves. If your child has been hurt in a preventable accident, schedule your free initial consultation today.
Compensation in an Oklahoma City Child Injury Claim
When a child suffers an injury due to negligence or an intentional act, their family may be entitled to seek compensation from the party responsible. This financial compensation is divided into two main categories: economic and non-economic damages.
These compensatory damages refer to the quantifiable financial losses that result from the injury, including:
- Medical Care Expenses: This includes the cost of current and future medical treatment, surgeries, rehabilitation, therapy, and any necessary medical equipment.
- Lost Wages: If a parent or guardian must take time off work to care for the injured child, they may seek financial compensation for lost income.
- Educational Services: For children who need special education services due to their injuries, the associated costs may be covered.
- Home Modifications: If the child’s injury requires alterations to the home for accessibility, such as ramps or handrails, these costs may be compensated.
- Long-term Care Costs: Ongoing care needs, such as professional caregiving or long-term treatment plans, may also be included in economic damages.
These damages pertain to the more subjective, non-monetary losses associated with a child’s injury, such as:
- Pain and Suffering: This refers to the physical pain and emotional distress experienced by the child as a result of the injury.
- Emotional Trauma: Parents and family members may also be compensated for the emotional anguish experienced as they care for an injured child.
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life: This includes the diminished ability to enjoy normal activities, hobbies, and daily routines that were part of the child’s life before the injury.
- Loss of Consortium: The injury’s impact on the relationship between the child and family members may also be considered in assessing compensatory damages.
- Disfigurement and Permanent Disability: If the child is left with permanent scars or disabilities, these long-term effects are accounted for in the compensation.
At Carr & Carr, we work diligently to assess all potential areas of compensation in an Oklahoma City child injury claim. By understanding both the immediate and long-term needs of your child and the entire family, we strive to seek the maximum compensation available.
What to Do After Your Child Has Been Injured
The moments following a child’s injury are often filled with confusion, fear, and uncertainty. Knowing the right steps to take can make a significant difference in both your child’s recovery and your potential legal rights.
- Seek Medical Attention Immediately: Your child’s health is the top priority. Get medical care as soon as possible, even if the injuries seem minor. Some injuries may not present symptoms right away but can have long-term consequences.
- Report the Incident: If the injury occurred at a public place, like a store or school, make sure to report the incident to the management or administration.
- Collect Evidence: If possible, take photographs of the scene, the injury, and any contributing factors like defective equipment or hazards. Gather contact information from witnesses if applicable.
- Keep Records: Maintain all medical treatment care records, bills, and any correspondence related to the injury. This includes keeping a journal of your child’s symptoms, medical appointments, and how the injury affects daily life.
- Avoid Discussing the Incident Publicly: Be cautious about discussing the incident with anyone other than your attorney. Statements made to insurance representatives or on social media can be used against you later.
- Contact an Oklahoma City Child Injury Lawyer: Reach out to a personal injury lawyer who handles child injury claims. A skilled attorney can help you understand your rights and what compensation you may be entitled to.
How Long Do I Have to File a Child Injury Claim?
In Oklahoma, the typical time frame to file a personal injury claim is two years from the date of the incident. When the victim is a child, however, the rules are different.
If the child was under 12 years old at the time of the injury, their parents have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit on their behalf within seven years from the injury date. If the child was 12 or older when the injury happened, the standard two-year statute of limitations applies for the parents to file a lawsuit. If they don’t file a claim, the child has one year following their 18th birthday to initiate a lawsuit.
Do I Need to Hire an Oklahoma City Child Injury Lawyer?
Although you are not legally required to use a lawyer for your child’s injury claim, there are several advantages to doing so.
- Case Preparation: A lawyer will have the resources and know-how to thoroughly investigate the circumstances of the injury, gather evidence, and consult with medical experts if necessary to build a robust case.
- Assessment of Damages: Experience is essential when evaluating child injury damages. This includes medical expenses, long-term care, pain and suffering, and any special educational needs. A child injury lawyer has the experience to ensure all aspects are covered.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: Insurance providers can be challenging to deal with, especially when a child’s long-term care may be involved. An experienced lawyer can negotiate with insurance adjusters to secure a fair settlement, considering both current and future medical needs.
- Trial Representation: If your case goes to court, having an experienced attorney by your side is essential. They can represent you effectively, presenting your case with the necessary sensitivity and expertise.
- Guardianship and Trust Issues: If substantial compensation is involved, a child injury lawyer can advise on setting up trusts or guardianships to ensure the financial stability and welfare of the child in the long term.
- No Upfront Costs: Many child injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning you don’t pay unless you receive fair compensation. This can make accessing legal representation more accessible for many families.
While hiring an Oklahoma City child injury lawyer might not be mandatory, it is often highly advisable. Given the complex nature of these injury cases and the profound impact they have on a child’s life and family, legal advice and representation can be invaluable. If your child has been injured, consulting with a child injury lawyer can be a positive step in securing their future.
Questions? Speak to an Oklahoma City Injury Lawyer Today!
When your child has been injured, the trauma and challenges can continue long after the accident. It affects every facet of the family’s life, often resulting in worry, uncertainty, and heartache.
At Carr & Carr, our dedicated Oklahoma City child injury lawyers are here to help during this difficult time. Let us stand beside you, fighting for the justice your child deserves and the future they are entitled to. Schedule your free initial consultation today and let us make a difference in your journey towards healing.