Tulsa property owners and managers owe a duty of care to those who are lawfully on the premises. This includes inspecting the property regularly and making prompt repairs or warning others of unsafe conditions until the issue can be fixed. When they fail to do so, they can be liable for any injuries which occur due to their negligence.
At Carr & Carr, we are dedicated to serving injured victims and their families in Tulsa, OK, and the surrounding areas. We understand the challenges you face after a serious slip and fall accident and are here to guide you through the legal process. Our experienced Tulsa slip-and-fall lawyers will deal with insurers, defendants, and their counsel and fight for the compensation you need to recover.
Why Hire Carr & Carr for Your Tulsa Slip and Fall Claim?
- Decades of Knowledge: Carr & Carr has decades of experience handling slip and fall cases in Tulsa. Our extensive experience means we know how to navigate any legal challenges effectively.
- Proven Track Record: Our track record speaks for itself. Our legal team has achieved favorable outcomes for numerous slip-and-fall victims, ensuring they receive the fair compensation they deserve.
- Your Case, Your Priority: At Carr & Carr, we give your case the personalized attention it deserves. We take the time to listen to your specific circumstances and tailor our approach accordingly.
- No Fees Unless You Win: We operate on a contingency fee basis. This means you won’t have to worry about upfront costs or attorney fees unless we win your case. Our commitment is to your success.
- We Care: Carr & Carr genuinely care about our clients’ well-being during challenging times. We understand the physical and emotional toll of slip-and-fall accidents and offer compassionate support throughout the legal process.
- Focused on Your Compensation: Our primary goal is to secure maximum compensation for you. We understand the financial burdens you may face due to medical bills and lost wages, and we are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcome for you.
What Are Dangerous Property Conditions?
Premises liability claims, which include slip and fall cases, often involve dangerous conditions on the property. Examples of these hazardous conditions include:
- Spilled liquids
- Wet or slippery floors
- Exposed wires and tripping hazards
- Ice or snow build-up
- Cluttered pathways
- Poor or inadequate lighting
- Uneven floors
- Torn or damaged carpets
- Faulty sidewalks
If these types of conditions cause someone to slip, trip, or fall and the property owner knew (or reasonably should have known) about the danger but didn’t take action or warn others, victims can seek compensation for their financial losses.
Financial Compensation in a Tulsa Slip and Fall Claim
When you’ve been injured after a slip or trip and fall accident, potential compensation can be categorized into two main types: economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages, also known as special damages, are the tangible financial losses resulting from a slip and fall accident. They typically include:
- Medical Expenses: This covers the cost of medical treatment, including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, surgeries, prescription medications, and physical therapy related to your injury.
- Lost Wages: If your slip and fall injury leads to time off work, you can seek compensation for the income you’ve lost. This includes not only the wages you missed during your recovery but also potential future earnings if your injury affects your ability to work in the long term.
- Property Damage: If personal property (e.g., clothing, electronics) was damaged in the fall, you may be eligible for reimbursement or repair costs.
- Rehabilitation Costs: Expenses related to any necessary rehabilitation or ongoing medical care, such as assistive devices or home modifications, can be included.
Non-economic damages, also called general damages, address intangible losses that are more challenging to quantify but equally important. They include:
- Pain and Suffering: This is compensation for the physical and emotional pain, discomfort, and distress caused by the slip and fall injury.
- Emotional Distress: This includes the psychological impact, such as anxiety, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder, resulting from the accident and subsequent injuries.
- Loss of Enjoyment: If the injury prevents you from participating in activities and hobbies you once enjoyed, you may receive compensation for this loss.
- Loss of Consortium: In some cases, spouses or family members may be eligible for compensation due to the injured person’s inability to provide the same level of companionship, affection, or support as before the accident.
- Disfigurement: If the injury causes permanent scarring or disfigurement, you can seek financial compensation for the resulting physical and emotional consequences.
Understanding the types of compensation available can help you pursue the financial recovery you need after an accident. Consult with an experienced attorney to assess the specific circumstances of your case and determine which compensation you may be entitled to.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
After a slip and fall accident, take the following steps to get the necessary medical care and gather evidence for a future personal injury claim.
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: Your health should be your top priority. If injured, seek prompt medical care. Even if your injuries seem minor, some conditions may worsen over time without treatment.
- Document the Scene: Use your phone or camera to take pictures of the accident scene, including any hazards, such as wet floors, icy sidewalks, or tripping obstacles. These photos can serve as important evidence later.
- Report the Incident: Inform the property owner, manager, or responsible party about the accident. Ask for a formal incident report to be filled out and make sure to get a copy for your records.
- Collect Witness Information: If there were witnesses to the accident, gather their names and contact information. Witnesses can provide crucial testimony if needed later.
- Preserve Evidence: Keep any clothing, footwear, or objects involved in the accident. These items may serve as evidence in your case.
- Follow Medical Advice: It’s essential to follow your doctor’s instructions for treatment and attend all appointments. This not only helps your recovery but also establishes a medical record of your injuries.
- Keep Records: Maintain a file of all relevant documents, including medical bills, prescriptions, receipts for expenses related to your injury, and any documentation related to lost wages if you’ve had to take time off work.
- Consult a Tulsa Slip and Fall Lawyer: If you’re considering pursuing a slip and fall claim, consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. They can assess your case, provide legal advice, and help you navigate the legal process.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
If you’ve experienced a slip and fall accident, one pressing question on your mind may be “How much is my slip and fall case worth?” With mounting medical costs and time off work, financial worries can quickly set in.
The answer to that question is not straightforward and depends on various factors, most of which are outlined below.
- Injuries: The nature and severity of your injuries are primary factors. More severe injuries, such as broken bones, traumatic brain injury, or spinal cord injuries, typically lead to higher compensation amounts.
- Accident-Related Expenses: The total cost of your damages is a key consideration. This includes past medical bills, ongoing treatment, lost wages, diminished earning ability, property damage, and more.
- Pain and Suffering: Non-economic damages, such as physical and emotional pain, discomfort, and distress caused by the injury, are considered when determining the claim’s value.
- Comparative Fault: Oklahoma has modified comparative fault laws that follow a 50% rule. This means that if you are partially responsible for your accident, you can still claim damages but your settlement or award will be reduced accordingly. If you’re over 50% at fault, you can’t pursue compensation at all.
- Legal Representation: Hiring an experienced slip-and-fall attorney can enhance your case’s value. They can effectively negotiate and strategize, potentially leading to a higher accident settlement.
It is important to keep in mind that every slip and fall case is unique and these factors interact differently for each case. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney can provide a sound evaluation of the potential value of your case.
Do I Really Need a Tulsa Slip and Fall Lawyer?
When you suffer life-changing injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident, a Tulsa personal injury lawyer can be invaluable. They bring legal expertise to your case and handle any associated negotiations and courtroom proceedings on your behalf. Other advantages of securing legal counsel include:
- Thorough Investigation: Attorneys have the skills and resources to conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances of your accident. This includes collecting evidence, obtaining witness statements, and assessing the accident scene to build a compelling case on your behalf.
- Case Valuation: Determining the worth of your slip and fall case can be difficult. A lawyer can assess various factors, such as the severity of your injuries, your total medical expenses, and any lost income to arrive at a fair valuation. This ensures you seek appropriate compensation.
- Legal Strategy: Lawyers are experts at crafting legal strategies for each client’s case. They will develop a plan that maximizes your chances of success, taking into account the unique details of your slip and fall incident.
- Accurate Paperwork and Documentation: Legal proceedings involve a significant amount of paperwork and adherence to strict deadlines. A slip-and-fall attorney manages all necessary documentation, ensuring nothing is overlooked and all requirements are met.
- Case Protection: Insurance companies may employ tactics to undermine your claim, such as offering lowball settlements or attempting to shift blame. An experienced lawyer can safeguard your rights and protect you from these tactics.
A Tulsa slip and fall lawyer provides guidance, support, and reassurance from the moment your case is filed until it concludes. They help ease the burden, allowing you to focus on your recovery while they handle the legal aspects.
Get a Free Consultation From a Tulsa Slip and Fall Lawyer Today!
In the wake of a slip-and-fall accident, the responsibilities of property owners and managers come into sharp focus. When these individuals fail in their duty of care, the consequences can be life-altering. At Carr & Carr, we stand committed to the cause of injured victims and their families in Tulsa and the surrounding areas, offering unwavering support and legal guidance.
Our experienced Tulsa slip and fall lawyers have the knowledge and dedication needed to handle your premises liability claim. We recognize the challenges you face after a serious slip-and-fall incident and are here to shoulder the legal burden on your behalf. Whether it involves negotiating with insurers or representing you in court, we fight to secure the compensation you need for your recovery. To schedule a free initial consultation, contact us today.