It’s nearing that season again when parents scour the toy stores for gifts for the holidays. While the popular toys kids positively need change each year, sometimes the fallout from these popular toys has the additional cost of an emergency room visit. And that’s no way to spend Christmas night.
While many young kids prefer video game systems these days, there are a number of toys aimed at younger kids that don’t revolve around the television or the computer. However, no matter what kind of toy it is, there are ways it can harm your child or another one in your care.
Some of the most common causes of injury include:
- Choking on small parts of toys, including balloons
- Strangulation caused by cords, such as those found on video game controllers, or ropes
- Eye injuries or blindness caused by toys with projectiles
- Burns or electrocution caused by defective or misused electronic toys
- Exposure to toxic chemicals or metals, such as lead or phthalates
- Allergic reactions caused by something in stuffed animals or blankets
While parents want to give their children toys that will make them happy, it is important that you make sure your child’s toys are as free from dangers or defects as they can be.
Posted by Patti